The Colonel of Travel

Saturday, November 11, 2006

"it's a great adventure, your life"

Theres a distant knocking on the door and someone is calling my name from miles away. I am awoken from the best dream ever under my enormous pink drapery of a mosquito net that makes me feel like a princess. Gradually I am roused from my dream to the reality of Gemma knocking and banging on my bamboo hut calling, "Linds, Linds, LINDSSS, are you up yet? The bus leaves in 20 minutes". When I realise where I am I put on my best, I've been awake for at least 10 minutes voice of " YES, YES, just finishing up packing". Its 0607, I throw myself from my bed and run round the room in dizziness filling my pack with everything I own and put clothes on at the same time. 7 minutes later I open my door with a smile. This is the begining of my 38 hour journey back to London, England.

My last few days in Cambodia were magical. On route to Vietnam, Cherri and Trent took a wee detour to Sihanoukville and turned up at my hut with mischievous grins on their faces. I introduced them to Matt and Gemma and off we went for the next few days. We hung out at a lovely beach side food place, Coasters with Sudjet the owner who told us stories of how he lives, what his family do and how much doctors and police people get paid monthly ($25). By day I swam in the sea, dodging all the jellyfish, ate as may fish amouk's as humanly possible and drank rum. It was a great way to end my travels and I couldn't have wished to spend it with better people.

So, after 2 buses, 2 tuk tuks and 2 planes I have arrived home back in England. The final aeroplane journey from Bangkok to London was no fun at all, infact it was the worst I have ever experienced. For some unexplained reason I turned quite ill and was in pain for most of the journey, which felt like forever in economy. This is not important, what is important and I would like to share is that when a member of the crew spotted that I was in some distress they came over to enquire as to whether I would like some drugs. "What do you have I responded?". They returned 20 seconds later with a 4, A4 pages stapled together with a list of symptoms and drugs at their disposal. I'm not talking just your average paracetamol or ibuprofen. I'm talking Valium, Tylenol, Dihydrocodeine and many many other items that I'm sure could sedate a small pony if need be. Anyway, I was given charcoal tablets of all things, which turned my teeth, fingers and tougue black, but would cure my ills. They did not.

And so I will end my blog in the comfort of my mothers home whilst being fed to my speedy recovery and requested to get in to a very fancy deep maroon bridesmaid's dress. Cambodia was amazing, it was the people that made it for me, is because they are Buddhist's I wonder? Everywhere I went I was greeted with a smile and lucky enough to spend time with locals finding out about their lives and sharing information on what we all get up to back home. Its a marvellous place and I would recommend to all. Next on the list Thailand.

Final blogger fact: Nearly all men in Cambodia are given at least six months paid leave from work so they can become a monk and live in a temple.
Final bonus blogger fact: Cambodia has ATM's. If you ever travel there do not take travellers cheques.

A few pictures: .............. will later be on their way, due to mother having dial up.

Marvellous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home