The Colonel of Travel

Friday, October 27, 2006

What is a lady boy please?

After one very long flight, one watchable movie (Romeo & Juliet: A monkeys' Tale), three non-descript meals and two outstanding podcasts, I have made it to Bangkok. I've even made a friend along the way by the name of Ghan. He taught me my first two words in Thai, of which, when I repeated back he giggled like a child (I wanted to say girl, but feared naming him a lady boy). I have been invited to stay with his family upon my return to Bangkok and attend his nephews graduation and eat his mothers 'amaazeeing' pad Thai. Only in Asia could this happen, I can't imagine meeting a complete stranger on the Heathrow express and inviting them to my sisters wedding..... although the thought is now crossing my mind.

Bangkok is outstanding. I'm staying just off the ever so infamous Khoa San Road, which I have just spent the last couple of hours exploring amongst other avenues and alleyways. Its one ever so long road full of anything and everything you could ever want to buy. The smells, colours, heat, sounds and locals are overwhelming. There are old and new buildings all mixed together with trees and temples sporadically placed in between. I've had to hold my nose and shut my eyes a few times when walking past food stalls with bits of animals that I'm sure should not be eaten. Speaking of which, I've just consumed an amazing pad thai on the road side and watched the people pass by. At the moment I'm liking the travelling with just myself. It feels more mysterious and lots more people come up to you to say hello, although in my case on two occasions it has been to enquire about the large plastic, casio calculator watch I'm wearing on my right arm. To me this seems like a logical thing to don, the baht here is in millions.

So, to end I feel I have achieved alot today, like getting to Bangkok(albeit to the wrong airport, but it was only like flying in to Gatwick when you think you're going to Heathrow), exploring a small part of Bangkok, booking a flight to Siem Reap for sunday morning and eating great food.

I'm so jet lagged and totally over excited, which is probably making me look like I'm on speed. I am not. I need my bed.

4 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Frau Dietz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm liking your blogstyle Suter! Glad you arrived safe and sound :-) xx

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds awesome, I can't wait to get there myself. And am loving the calculator watch tactic, nice one, Suter!

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont even know what a blog is but I am liking it Bud - I wondered where you were - no response to my emails!!

Mils

PS kids say "go girl!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home